Monday, February 22, 2010

What do you think about me?

Last night Ricky spoke about "Learning Humbly." While his topics stretched from ants to the cosmos (to the mysterious acoustic drum box) I pulled one question from his message that I think I'm really going to dissect this week.

"Who do you say I am?"

I requested that we think about it. What do you say about yourself? What does the world say about you? The devil? Most importantly, God?

The world seemed easiest, because I could break it down into categories:
  • Family
  • Friends
  • Professors
  • Employees
  • Strangers
  • The media
Its interesting how all of those people might say something different about me. While my friends might say, "passionate and romantical" the media might say, "better with Covergirl concealer."

The devil is another easy one, he sees me as his prey. He wants to explore every weakness of my being and let me know that I am worthless, unlovely and hopeless.

Its funny, because when thinking about how I think about myself, the devil likes to slip in little asides. One minute I'll be thinking about how lucky I am to have such a great family, supportive friends and wonderful opportunities...and then a thought like "but I'm not good enough because I'm single," and like dominoes that whole list of good things will go toppling down.

Its really important that we, as Christians walking in victory through Jesus Christ, to be able to assess those thoughts (my Dad has always called it "stinking thinking") and rebuke them as lies.

This is why its so important to know what God thinks about us. Here are a few truths to start with:

  • We (you, I) are children of God... "But to all who have received him--those who believe in his name--he has given the right to become God's children" John 1:12
  • W (you, I) have been justified and redeemed... "But they are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:24
  • We (you, I) are not living under condemnation... "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
  • We (you, I) are fellow heirs with Christ... "And if children, then heirs (namely, heirs of God and also fellow heirs with Christ)--if indeed we suffer with him so we may also be glorified with him."Romans 8:17
  • We (you, I) are triumphant and victorious in all things... "But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and who makes known through us the fragrance that consists of the knowledge of him in every place" 2 Corinthians 2:14
  • We (you, I) are blessed... "Blessed is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms in Christ." Ephesians 1:3
  • We (you, I) are created to do good works... "For we are his workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared beforehand so we may do them" Ephesians 2:10
  • We (you, I) are LOVED... "We know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you." 1 Thessalonians 1:4
This is just a small list of who we are in Christ and how God feels about us. Scripture is littered (minus the negative connotation) with scriptures like these!

So guys, this week be challenged to ask God what he thinks about you. Pray that God will show you in a very personal way, from scripture to a billboard sign you pass every day on the way to work. You will be surprised what you find out.

- Anna

2 comments:

  1. thank you for posting this! it is so so easy to forget the truth of who we are in Christ with everything going on around us, so the reminder is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete